Little Nippers - reflections of a first-time mum

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Oops I'm in trouble

I think I may have committed the social faux pas of the century this week. I have been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to organise Pork Chop's christening. Mother very kindly offered the use of her house for the reception afterwards. This was all very well and good until we realised there were certain conditions attached such as no fireworks in the garden, certain friends of hers being invited and an amount of huffing and puffing about the increasing numbers. The Other Half and I were also having some rip roaring rows about it.

It all came to a head at the weekend when he discovered she had pretty much insisted on friends of hers being on the list when we had actually not invited some of ours to try and keep numbers down. The Other Half hit the roof and then decided to move the whole thing to an Indian restaurant. It actually makes a lot of sense because now there is no organisation on our part required, I won't be stressing about my mother's house getting trashed, we can invite more people and as my parents are divorced there will be no horrible moments between ex and new spouses.

However, telling my mother was not as easy and she got a little uptight, turned her back on The Other Half as he was talking to us, gave me the guilt trip on Monday and hasn't spoken to us since. I am not quite sure what is happening now and The Other Half tells me not to call her. i think I should try and smooth things over but I think she has taken massive offence to it all. It's not that we don't appreciate her offer. We do. We just think this would make life a lot easier for all concerned.

Hey ho. Whatever I do I am in the wrong. If I now tell her we'll stick with at hers The Other Half will hate me for giving in to her emotional blackmail and the christening will be somewhat marred by everything that has happened. If I stick to the restaurant she will be put out and the christening will be marred. Bugger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home