Little Nippers - reflections of a first-time mum

Sunday, October 01, 2006

AAAAAAAARGH!

Pork Chop won't stop crying and won't go to sleep for her nap which is driving me insane. The Other Half did eventually roll in very very late and slept on the sofa. We had a bit of a row yesterday but I just know he is only paying me lip service and actually doesn't really give a toss how I feel. Another fine example is right now. It is a weekend when for once it would be nice for me to actually have a lie in and not have to get up and give Pork Chop her breakfast. However, as per usual it was me who got out of bed while The Other Half went back to sleep "because he was tired". Well have I got news for him. I am permanently tired. I never get a break. Why should I always be the one who gets up for our daughter - he is more than capable he is just too sodding lazy to be bothered.

As usual if I bring it up up I will get the whole, "But I am the one bringing home the bacon" sketch and therefore it exonerates him from all fatherly and husbandly duties. I can't win and I am thoroughly sick of it. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for one day a week when I could actually have a lie in. Some might argue as I am not earning much right now then that entitles him to behave as he sees fit. However, I disagree because a) raising a child takes an awful lot of effort and is not 9 to 5 and b) I am working hard to set up a freelance business alongside raising my daughter full-time. I am also considering going back to work at least part-time just so he can't throw that reasoning up everytime we have an argument.

Anyway this blog is in real danger of becoming one long rant and that isn't what it was intended for. We are actually off to my mother's today for a family gathering and I have made the desserts - three in total. A fresh lemon cheesecake, summerfruit meringues and two croquembouches piled high with cream, profiteroles and chocolate. I really quite enjoyed making them and hope they go down well.

My mother and I are generally pretty close but even she is starting to get on my nerves a little at the moment. Pork Chop is being christened next month and Mother kindly offered her house for the reception because it is closer to the church and a lot bigger than ours. But that offer wasn't unconditional I have since discovered and comes with the odd caveat here or there. Firstly, she is allowed to invite certain friends of hers who are not friends of ours thereby blowing our "small gathering of close friends and family" philosophy out of the window. The christening itself is on the evening of November 5th and we thought what a fantastic day to have some fireworks to celebrate. I mentioned this to Mother and got a right mouthful back about how it wasn't fair on the animals blah blah blah. A simple, "No, I don't think that is a good idea" would have sufficed but the way she was going on you would have thought I had asked her to line up the guests against the garage wall and let me take pot shots at them with an AK-47. She also seems to be getting uptight about the number of people we are now having which has mushroomed alarmingly and is trying to push me to have a certain caterer. It has got to the point where we have pretty much decided to find an alternative venue if we can and make up some excuse about why it would better there than at their house.

Ah families - you can't choose them and they f**k you up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home