Little Nippers - reflections of a first-time mum

Monday, September 11, 2006

Baby days

Six months ago I became a mother for the first time and it turned my world upside down. Having previously worked as a reporter and news editor I thought I was used to pressure. And, no doubt like many first-time mums before me, I naiively believed the baby would fit around my life - how wrong I was. My little daughter, Pork Chop, much as I love her to bits, really did take over. My boobies became her boobies, the bags under my eyes acquired their own bags and I became a social lepper amongst my non-parent friends overnight. Six months on things have settled down loads but it still amazes me how much my life is ruled by Pork Chop. Oh and I am still somewhat of a social lepper havign sent a dozen texts to various friends and elliciting just one response.

As for Pork Chop, she is currently sitting in front of the TV watching the Tweenies - I ashamed to say I am not one of those parents who has the ability to entertain their child 100 per cent of the time. While she does have a lot of attention from me inevitably the more mundane things in life such as cleaning, cooking etc get in the way. However, TV does provide a wonderful distraction for her and I like to convince myself that the odd hour here or there in front of the box is educational for her. It also gives me a chance to do things like this.

Having got over the trauma of childbirth and to a certain extent got my sleep back I have started to work from home writing the odd freelance article here and there. I should be writing one now which is due shortly but I just don't seem to have the drive today. It doesn't actually make a lot of money (I am now fully supported by my other half) but it keeps me sane and allows me to do something adult that doesn't involve pureeing baby foods or changing pooey nappies. And that really is also the point of this blog - to have the chance to write and do something not too baby orientated although no doubt I will continue to mention Pork Chop as the days tick on because she occupies most of my time and, of course, I love her to bits.

So, I hope to continue musing about work and motherhood, politics and petrol prices and just about anything that pops into my head on a particular day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home